1/4 Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serves: 6 persons
- 2 and 1/2 lb chicken (medium cut)
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 medium onions (finely cut)
- 3 large tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 tbsp fresh garlic (chopped)
- 1 and 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp crushed red chilis
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup yoghurt (whipped)
- 2 cup boiling water
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 3 tbsp cilantro (chopped)
- 1/4 tsp crushed black pepper
Tip: For best results, use measuring utensils.
- Take a pot, add oil and put on medium heat. Add onions and fry until they are golden brown. Once golden, take them out and put them aside.
- In the same oil, add garlic, chicken and fry on high heat with a wooden spoon until the chicken changes its color.
- Add cumin seeds, tomatoes, ginger paste, salt, crushed red chilis, turmeric powder, coriander powder and the fried onion. Mix well and cover.
- Increase the heat to medium and let it cook for 5 minutes to soften the tomatoes. Once softened, add yoghurt. Increase the heat to high and cook with a wooden spoon until the oil separates.
- Reduce the heat back to very low, add 1 and 1/2 cup boiling water, crushed black pepper, garam masala and cilantro. Mix well and cover.
- Leave it to simmer for 10 minutes. Chicken gravy is ready. Enjoy with pea pulao or naan!