Cooking time: 50 minutes
Serves: 5 persons
- 2 lb karelay (bitter melon)
- 1 lb minced meat
- 3 medium onions (finely sliced, keep 2 aside)
- 3 large tomatoes (chopped)
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 tbsp fresh garlic (chopped)
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 tsp crushed red chilis
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 5 green chilis (small)
- 3 and 1/2 tsp salt
Tip: For best results, use measuring utensils.
Note: First, cut the bitter melon like shown in picture below. Add 1 tsp salt and mix them well with your hands. Keep aside for an hour.
After an hour, wash well 3 to 4 times and squeeze all water from the bitter melon. Take 1 tsp salt and mix well into the bittermelon. Keep aside.
- Take a pot, add oil and put on medium heat. Fry 1 onion till it’s golden brown. Add garlic, cumin seeds, tomatoes, minced meat, ginger paste, 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp crushed red chilis, coriander powder and turmeric powder. Mix well, cover and let it cook for 5 minutes to soften the tomatoes.
- Once the tomatoes have softened, uncover and cook on high heat with a wooden spoon until the oil separates. Turn off the heat and keep aside.
- In a separate karahi, deep fry the salt covered bitter melon on medium heat till they are golden brown. Be careful not to burn them. Turn off the heat, take them out from the oil using a strainer and keep them aside.
- Now take pot with the cooked meat and put on medium to low heat. Add the 2 remaining finely sliced onions, 1/2 tsp salt and 1 tsp crushed red chilis. Cook while mixing with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes. Add the fried bitter melon into this, mix well and cover. Let it simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and add green chilis for garnishing. Serve with homemade roti!