Cooking time: 60 minutes
Serves: 4 persons
- 3 lb turnips (9 medium size )
- 1 lb mutton
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 medium onion (finely sliced)
- 3 tbsp cilantro
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp crushed red chillis
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 and 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 tbsp sugar (white or brown)
- 2 cup boiling water
Tip: For best results, use measuring utensils
- Peal off turnips and cut like shown in the picture below.
- Take a pot, add oil,onion and fry on medium to high heat until golden brown (approx. 4 minutes).add cumin seeds, garlic, meat,1 tbsp water and fry for about 5 minutes. When the meat starts releasing juices, reduce the heat to low.
- Add 1 tsp salt, turmeric powder, crushed red chillis and fry for 1 minute. Add 2 cup boiling water and increase the heat to high. Add shaljam and 1/2 tsp salt. When it starts boiling, reduce the heat to low, cover and let it cook until the meat tenders (about 45 minutes).
- Once the meat is cooked, if there is water left in the pot, increase the heat to dry it out. Mash the shaljam with masher or wooden spoon. Be careful not to mash the meat. Keep cooking until the oil separates.
- Add sugar. Cook for 1 minute while mixing, reduce the heat to low, cover and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add garam masala, cilantro and mix well. Turn off the heat. Enjoy with boiled rice.