Cooking time: 40 minutes
Serves: 6 persons
- 3 cup rice (wash and soak in water for 30 minutes)
- 3 cup boiled chickpeas
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 large onion (finely sliced)
- 1 large tomato (finely sliced)
- 1 green chili (chopped)
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- 2 tsp ginger paste
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp cumin seed
- 4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp yogurt
- 5 cup boiling water
Tip: For best results, use measuring utensils.
- In a large pot, add 1/4 cup oil along with onions and fry until they turn light golden. Add cumin seeds, ginger paste, tomato, green chili, black pepper, 1 tsp salt, mix and cover it on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- After five minutes, uncover and increase heat to dry moisture.
- Add chickpeas and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add 5 cups of boiling water.
- Drain all water from rice and add to the pot along with 1/4 cup oil, 3 tsp salt, yogurt, lemon juice, garlic paste and black pepper. Mix well and cook on medium to high heat till rice almost done and ready for summer ( dum).
- Reduce heat to low and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- After that, turn off heat, uncover and open dum carefully with spoon not to damage rice.