Cooking time: 35 minutes
Serves: 3 persons
- 1 cup daal (washed, 3-4 times)
- 1 and 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp crush red chilis
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 tbsp onion (finely sliced)
- 1 tbsp ginger sticks
- 1 clove garlic (sliced)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 tbsp cilantro (roughly chopped)
- 1 green chili (1/2 inch sliced)
Tip: For best results, use measuring utensils.
- Take a pot, add daal. Drain all water add 5 and 1/2 cup water.
- Put on high heat, add all daal ingredients. Once it starts boiling, reduce heat to medium, cover it and let it cook until the daal is well done (about 30 mins).
- After 30 minutes, uncover and mix it with wooden spoon. If it is thick, you can add some boiling water. Add cilantro, mix it well and keep aside.
- Take a frying pan add oil and fry onions on medium to high heat until they are half golden, add ginger and garlic. Fry a little, add cumin seeds, fry some more but make sure not to burn any thing. Stir in daal and cover it for 5 minutes. Garnish with green chili before serving.
Enjoy with boiled rice and pickle.