Cooking time: 1 hour & 15 minutes
Serves: 6 to 7 persons
- 3 lb chicken (biryani cut)
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 potatoes (peel and cut into 8 pieces)
- 3 & 1/2 cup rice (wash and soak for 30 minutes)
- 4 tbsp salt
- 3 & 1/2 liter water
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp orange food coloring (mix in 3 tbsp milk)
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 medium onions (finely sliced)
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 5-6 garlic cloves (freshly chopped)
- 1 long piece of ginger (freshly chopped)
- 2 badi elaichi
- 4 medium green chilis (chopped in small pieces)
- 1/2 tsp grounded black pepper
- 1/2 tsp whole cloves
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 cup mint leaves (roughly chopped)
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 green elaichi
- 3 extra large tomatoes (finely chopped)
- 1 cup yoghurt
- 2 curry leaves
Tip: For best results, use measuring utensils.
- In a karahi, add oil, garlic paste, chicken and fry for 2-3 minutes. Then add ginger paste, cinnamon stick, salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, potatoes and stir fry for another 3-4 minutes. Add 1 cup water and put it on medium to low heat until the meat tenders (approx. 15 minutes)
- In a large pot, boil rice in 3 and 1/2 liter water and 4 tbsp salt till 3/4 or 90% cooked.
- Drain all water, add 3 tbsp oil into the rice, mix and keep aside.
- In 1/4 cup oil, fry sliced onion till golden. Add 2 tsp cumin seeds and stir fry.
- Add all the remaining ingredients (except the yoghurt) and stir fry until the oil separates. Now add the yoghurt and continue to stir fry until the oil separates.
- Add the chicken into this masala, mix well and cook for another 5 minutes.
- In a large pot, add 3/4 of the rice at the bottom and spread out. Now add the chicken masala on top of it and spread evenly. Spread the remaining rice on top, add the orange food coloring, cover and put it on very low heat for 15-20 minutes for dum.
- Turn off the heat. Mix well. Serve hot with fresh salad and cucumber raita.