Cooking time: 40 minutes
Serves: 5 to 6 persons
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 and 1/2 lb chicken (karahi cut)
- 1 medium onion (finely sliced)
- 6 large tomatoes (finely sliced)
- 1 tbs fresh garlic (chopped)
- 1 and 1/2 inch long ginger (cut into thin sticks)
- 8 long green chillies (cut into 1 inch pieces- keep 1 green chili aside for garnishing)
- 1 and 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 and 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro (chopped)
Tip: For best results, use measuring utensils.
- Take a karahi, add oil and put it on high heat. Once oil is heated, add the garlic and chicken. Fry the chicken on high heat until it changes color.
- Once the chicken is done, take it out of the karahi and put it aside.
- In the same oil, add onions and fry on medium to high heat until they are golden. Once golden, add cumin seeds the tomatoes, seven of the chopped green chillies and cook on high heat. Now add salt and turmeric powder. When you see that the oil has started to separate and 3/4 of the water from the tomatoes has dried, add the chicken back into the karahi. Mix it, cover it and let it cook on low heat for 15 minutes.
- If after 15 minutes if there is still some water left, increase the heat until the oil separates completely.
- Reduce the heat to low, add ginger sticks, cilantro, garam masala After mixing cover it and let it simmer for 5 minutes on low heat (dum). Your chicken karahi is ready.
- While serving, add the remaining chopped one green chili on top as garnishing. Enjoy with naan or fresh roti!