Cooking time: 60 minutes
Serves: 6 persons
- 1 and 1/2 lb chicken (all with bones)
- 1 large onion (peel off but keep whole)
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 piece of ginger (2 inch long)
- 1 garlic (whole head)
- 2 pieces of badi elaichi
- 4 pieces of green elaichi
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp black whole pepper
- 1/2 tsp clove
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1/2 tbsp dry whole coriander
- 6 cups water
- 2 and 1/2 cup rice (wash and soak in water for 30 minutes)
- 1 large onion (finely sliced)
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1/2 tbsp black cumin seeds (or white)
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 large green chili (chopped)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp yogurt
- 5 cup yakhni
- 1/4 cup oil
Tip: For best results, use measuring utensils.
- In a pot, add 6 cups water and put on high heat. Add chicken along with all yakhni ingredients and once it starts boiling, reduce the heat to medium and let it cook for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, turn off the heat. Once it cools down, take out the chicken and keep aside;. Drain the yakhni using a strainer and keep aside.
- In a wok, add oil and put on high heat. Add onions and fry till they are golden. Reduce the heat to medium and add cumin seeds, ginger, 1 tsp salt, black pepper, 1/2 cup yakhni, green chilis and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add chicken into this and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Add 4 and 1/2 cup yakhni and let it boil for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain the water you had soaked the rice in and add the rice to this along with 1 tsp salt, yogurt, 1 tsp garlic and lemon juice. Mix it well gently, cover and let it cook on medium to high heat till the water dries and the rice is cooked (about 6 to 7 minutes) Mix it once in between.
- Reduce the heat to very low and let it simmer for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, turn off the heat and mix the rice gently. Enjoy with shami kebabs and raita!